Wholesome Flourless Pancakes by Anna Matriotti, herbal nutritionist
The night before put steel cut oats and buckwheat groats in the blender (if you have a blender that seals tightly, otherwise use a bowl or large water pitcher) and cover with water and coconut cream. I leave mine on the counter overnight and have all other ingredients laid out so that I can throw it all in the blender first thing in the morning. Use more liquid as necessary.
- ¾ cup water
- ⅔ cup steel-cut oats
- ½ cup coconut cream (or you can use a full fat yogurt)
- ⅓ cup unroasted buckwheat groats
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
I use coconut oil of ghee for the pan or griddle because they are very heat stable and are important healthy fats to include in our diet.
- In the bowl of a blender, combine the water, oats, yogurt, and buckwheat groats. Cover and let soak overnight for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add the egg, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt to the soaked grains and blend on high until smooth.
- Preheat a griddle or frying pan and lubricate with oil. Pour about ¼ cup batter per pancake onto griddle to form each pancake. Cook for 2 minutes. When tiny bubbles form and the edges of the pancakes firm up, flip them with a spatula and cook the other side for about 2 more minutes. Repeat until all the batter has been used.